2015 GREAT RUSSIAN RIVER RACE
*This page is being updated, stay tuned!
5 mile/ Rio Race: Starts at Rio Lindo Beach (private road), with the finish line at Memorial Beach in Healdsburg. Mostly gravel bed, however, prepare to negotiate through a few swift turns, overhanging trees and to paddle through short sections of quiet water. The river character changes around every bend, and river depth can be anywhere from less than 2" – 10 ft. Your boat may scrape bottom in places depending on the flow levels. To protect any living macroinvertebrates in the River, you will be required to carry your boat along the banks in riffle areas.
Athletes may use their own kayaks, canoes and SUP boards, or rent from River’s Edge Kayak and Canoe, the professional outfitter that will manage the river operations and logistics. River's Edge is renting the metal canoes this year, with a limited number of double and single kayaks.
Age Restrictions: Ages 8-11 may ride in a double boat with an adult. Ages 12-15 may be in single boats only with parental/adult supervision during the Race. Ages 16-17 just need a waiver signed by a parent. For everyone under 18, a parent will need to sign a waiver upon check-in.
15 Mile Pro Race: Starts at the Alexander Valley Bridge, with the same finish line at Memorial Beach. More details in March.
The respective race divisions are broken down below. Our goal is to hold a fair race and you are responsible for entering the right division for your boat – call or email us if you have questions.“Pro" refers to lightweight composite racing surfskis, kayaks and canoes (fiberglass, Kevlar, carbon or prepreg) and these craft are only allowed to compete in the Pro division. “Recreational” refers to all other craft including sea kayaks, general kayaks and canoes that are made of plastic or aluminum.
Rio Lindo (5 mile)
- Recreational Single
- Recreational Double
- Stand-up Paddleboard (SUP) Single
- Any double boat can give themselves a Team name (humor and costumes are highly encouraged!)
- Please indicate your team name and category on the Entry Form
IMPORTANT: Please carefully review the race logistics before arriving!
PERSONAL FLOATATION DEVICES (PFD’S) ARE MANDATORY TO PADDLE ON THE RIVER. They are included with your boat rental.
- On Race Day, Check-in will run from 9:00-10:00 a.m. Race attendants will be waiting for you at the parking lot.
- As the start is on a gated and private road, River’s Edge shuttles will take competitors to the start at Rio Lindo beach from 9:30-10:15 a.m. with a pre-race briefing at 10:45 a.m.
- The race will start promptly at 11:00 a.m.
- Boat owners will load and secure their own boats on shuttle trailers, provided by GR3 (bring your own straps and padding as these are not provided by GR3). You should check-in by 9:15 if bringing your own boat.
- Be sure to provide enough time to check-in, load your boats and get to the pre-race briefing on time.
- If renting equipment from River’s Edge, your boat, pfd and paddles will be at your start line.
PARKING & SHUTTLES
- Event parking is free except at Memorial Park - $7 or free with Regional Park Pass.
- Overflow parking for the Race Party will also be located south of River's Edge at the corner of Bailhache St, a 3 minute walk from Memorial Beach.
DOGS: Are allowed in the Park on a leash but NOT on the beach! And not in the Race either, sorry!